Thursday, October 16, 2008

and I am thrilled


After my children left for school today, I walked through their bedrooms and was not surprised at all at mess they left behind. Today, instead of being annoyed with the unmade beds, wet towels on the floor, and clothes everywhere, I had a feeling of deep gratitude wash over me.

As I made their beds, picked up the towels, and put their clothes in a pile, I thought about how blessed I am to have these amazing people in my life. It is truly beyond words the joy they bring to my world.

Time is passing so quickly. Wasn't it just yesterday that they were in cribs? learning to walk? talk? read? Truth is, it will only be a very short period of time until they move out and start their lives on their own. Today, they are here, their rooms are a mess and I am THRILLED.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying hard to feel the same.

Anonymous said...

I thought of you today, and smiled- as I washed all of the children's bedding, remade their beds with warm blankets and put the comforter covers on...A labor of love. I was happy to do it, in that same grateful way- even though it was a lot of work. Warmed me again as I tucked them in; and now, as they are all asleep, cozy in those little beds...as the snow flies outside. (yes, snow)

Thinking of housework as an extension of parenting makes all the difference.

monica said...

Housework as an extension of parenting---I love that. I can so often can get negative & overwhelmed about the mountain of laundry. So much so that it can carry over into my parenting. I will hold this in my heart today as I clean my home and start climbing the mountian! Monica